Sunday, March 21, 2010

Flowers in the Showers

Springtime, rain, everything is blooming, flowers are popping. Did I mention rain?
Ok, so tell me...Can you spot the pedestrian in this picture? I almost didn't.
 Dark skies, shiny streets, wet windshield, the extra sounds of rainy weather, trying to make a left before the light changes- if you're a pedestrian wearing black, you may as well just lay down in the crosswalk and scream "c'mon, run me over!".


Much better! 
Now, I don't expect everybody to sport big yellow slickers (though I do think you'd look cute), but you can be rainy-day chic without the hazards of basic black.

Umbrella ideas: These all fold down to purse or pocket size!

Details:
I'm a sucker for a good novelty print. This calorie motif was very popular for hankies and dish towels in the 40s and 50s. Lulu Guiness has now done her part to keep it going.   Someday I'll figure out how to sew that reflective fabric in polka dots onto an umbrella and create my own little brolly empire... so far it's harder than I expected.
Get ready for the Coolest Rain Boots Ever!!!
My Ashanti booties from Brazilian company Melissa can whoop your Burberry/Chanel/Gucci muck boots All. Day. Long.
Completely made of rubber, no leaky seams, nice platforms inside for comfort and warmth, textured insides that don't rub, nice traction.
or, try the flocked oxfords

I wore these all over NYC in freezing December weather. They kept me warm and dry on a 20 block walk. About three times per block, someone would smile and say "great boots!", so I know they brightened other people's day too, which is half the fun.
So - next rainy day, get out there and be seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment